Compliance With The 2012 Florida Scrap Laws Requires Scrap Dragon Version 7.0 Or Later And Jpegger Version 2.0 Or Later
Scrap Dragon can help you comply with the new requirements as follows:
- Documentation and record keeping
- Payment restrictions
- Form printing
Documentation and Record Keeping
In some circumstances the scrap yard is required to obtain customer certificates, proof of ownership and signed statements from sellers. These will be scanned with a Fujitsu scanner and stored in Jpegger either by customer or by ticket whichever is appropriate.
Material are now classified as Regulated, Restricted Regulated and Exempt (beverage cans).
Except for exempt customers:
- payments for Restricted Regulated materials must be made by check and mailed to the customer. These payments will be identified in red in the system.
- payments for Regulated materials can be made by cash or check, but no more than $1,000 can be paid in cash.
Scrap yards are required to report their transactions electronically to the County Sheriff or to the Municipal Police Chief. Each law enforcement agency will determine the format of this report.
The following ‘oath of ownership’ may be required to be added to the scale purchase ticket that the customer must sign, or to the electronic signature pad.
“Note: Florida Statute 538.23(3) states: “Any person who knowingly gives false verification of ownership or who gives a false or altered identification and who receives money or other consideration from a secondary metals recycler in return for regulated metals property commits (a) a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s.775.083, or s. 775.084, if the value of the money or other consideration received is less than $300. (b) a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the value of the money or other consideration received is $300 or more. I am the rightful owner of, or entitled to sell the regulated metals property being sold”
Recommended Windows, Scrap Dragon And Jpegger Setup
- Create a folder on the server under the Dragon folder to store the temporary document scans.
- Setup the Fujitsu scanner on the cashier station or wherever the required documents will be scanned. See the related document on installation of the fujitsu scanner.
- Unless you are using a custom purchase scale ticket form, copy the ‘Florida Scale Ticket’ from the \\server_name\dragon\setup\sample forms\thermal star wide\scale ticket folder into the \\server_name\forms folder. This form is the same as scale tick wide barcode but with the required language for Florida. If you are using the sig pad at close, you should use the scale ticket fl sig.frx/frt files attached to this article.
- Unless you are using a custom cashier receipt form, copy the ‘Florida Cashier Wide Sig’ from the \\server_name\dragon\setup\sample forms\thermal star wide\cashier receipt folder into the \\server_name\forms folder. This form is the same as cashier wide but with the required language for Florida.
- Upgrade to jpegger version 2.0 or later.
- Copy tables.csv from \\server_name\dragon\setup\options\jpegger\data into \\server_name\program files(x86)\jpegger\data and restart jpegger. This will create the cust_pics table for saving certificates with the customer.
- Create a ‘single file’ camera in jpegger for saving pdf documents.
- Create a ‘directory’ camera in jpegger for saving scanned documents (certificates, proof of ownership and signed statements from sellers) and specify the folder created above as the directory name.
- If you are using a signature pad, you will need to add the required certification in sigconfig and update to jpegger. see the related article on setting up the signature pad. You can use the attached file (sig pat fl.txt) to copy the text from and paste it into sig config.
SCRAP DRAGON SETUP:
- Upgrade to Scrap Dragon version 7.0 or later.
- In Program Options, check the box for ‘Use Commodity Payment Rules’
- Commodity setup in Commmodity Master File maintenance:
- In the Conditional Form Print field, enter ‘Check’ for all Restricted Regulated Materials
- On the commodity pricing tab, for Regulated Materials, check pay by cash and check pay by check. Set default pay method to Cash.
- On the commodity pricing tab, for Restricted Regulated materials, check pay by check and also check ‘Mail Only’
- In Customer master file maintenance, buy tab, check the ‘exempt from payment limitations’ box to designate the customers that are exempt from the payment rules.
- In Local Computer Options, Scale Printing Tab, change the scale purchase ticket form to the Florida Scale Ticket form. Check the box for PDF.
- In Local Computer Options, Cashier Printing Tab, change the Cashier Receipt form to the Floida Cashier Wide Sig form. Check the box for PDF and w/sig.
- In Local Computer Options, Imaging Tab, set the ID Save camera to the name of the single file camera set up in jpegger. Set the Document camera to the name of the directory camera set up in jpegger.
- In Program Options, payments tab, checking account setup, details tab, check the box for PDF.